North and South Palmyra Townships, Macoupin County IL






gif USGenWeb
                          Logo Button picf
Macoupin County IL
Townships
gif ILGenWeb
                          Button Logo picf





North Palmyra Township
T12N R8W
South Palmyra Township
T11N R8W
















Towns in North Palmyra Twp
History
Cemeteries Schools
Population in 1870 1875 Atlas
1875 Atlas Names
Google Map



The population in all of North Palmyra Township in 1870 was 1,234

Towns in North Palmyra Township are:

(Cummington)
(Eagle Point)
(Hartford)
Modesto Lat 392842N Long 0895855W
(Newburgh)
Palmyra (formerly named Eagle Point, Newburgh and Cummington then Palmyra) Lat 392605N Long 0895945W
(Vancil's Point)

Picture - Mount Olive Students 1912 (not the town Mount Olive) School District south of Palmyra



Cummington Information

Illinois Place Names:
CUMMINGTON (Macoupin). PO est. (ch. from Eagle Point) 2 Nov 1841; ch. to Palmyra 25 May 1858.


Eagle Point Information

Illinois Place Names:
EAGLE POINT (Macoupin). PO est. 26 Mar 1833; ch. to Cummington 2 Nov 1841; now Palmyra..


(Hartford) Information
Hartford is not listed in the Illinois Place Names Book.
In 1875, Hartford may have been in the area of School #5 east of Vancils Point in North Palmyra Township. Hartford doesn't show on the 1875 or the 1893-94 plat map.



Modesto Information
Lat 392842N Long 0895855W

Illinois Place Names:
MODESTO (Macoupin). PO est. 6 Mar 1882; active. Inc-v-3/16/1896. Pop. (1960) 228.

History of and Charter for the Village of Modesto contributed by Robert Fletcher

City Fathers Of Modesto And Their Families contributed by Robert Fletcher


Newburgh Information
Lat 392842N Long 0895855W

Illinois Place Names:
NEWBURGH (Macoupin). Now Palmyra.
Map from M Trover showing Newburgh


Palmyra Information
Lat 392842N Long 0895855W

Illinois Place Names:
PALMYRA (Macoupin). PO est. (ch. from Cummington) 25 May 1858; active; RFD serves Barr. Inc-v-7/15/1881. Formerly Cummington, Eagle Point, Newburgh. Pop. (1960) 811.

In 1980, Palmyra's population was 864. In 1990, the population was 722.

History of the town of Palmyra contributed by Mary Ann Stewart Kaylor

Charter for the Village of Palmyra contributed for use by Robert Fletcher


(Vancils Point) Information
Illinois Place Names:
VANCIL'S POINT (Macoupin) PO est. 22 Sep 1858; dis. 16 Jun 1884.

On the 1875 plat map, Vancils Point Post Office was located in the southwest corner of Section 4 of North Palmyra Township.

Vancils Point was probably named after I B Vancil who came or was born in the county in 1828. By 1893-94, I B Vancil probably owned over 1000 acres in the area.
Just west of the Post Office was School #4 and just west of the school was a Christian Church.
There were a couple of houses closeby. It appears to be a community crossroads where possibly there may have been a store with the Post Office.
By the 1893-94 plat map, Vancils Point is no longer on the map.



Towns in South Palmyra Twp History and Charter Cemeteries Schools
Population in 1870 1875 Atlas 1875 Atlas Names Google Map



The population in all of South Palmyra Township in 1870 was 1,166.

History of South Palmyra Township contributed by Mary Ann Stewart Kaylor

Towns in North Palmyra Township are:

Hettick Information
Lat 392118N Long 0900213W

Illinois Place Names:
HETTICK (Macoupin) PO est. 18 Apr 1882; active. Inc-v-5/10/1892. Pop. (1960) 253.


History of Hettick contributed for use by Mary Ann Stewart Kaylor

Concord Primitive Baptist Church History

Concord Primitive Baptist Church picture 1 - picture 2

Samuel Love, reportedly to be the first white child born in Macoupin County

Samuel Love contributed by Ron Grassi
According to Portait and Biographical Record of Macoupin County, Illinois...Chicago, Biographical Publishing Company 1891, p 742
"Samuel Love, a resident of Bird Township, is a son of John and Cynthis (Seymour) Love, who emigrated from Alabama to Illinois in the early days.
They came first to Madison County, where they remained a few months, and then came to Macoupin County as early as before the '20s, but at just what date the son is unable to say. They made their home in what is now South Palmyra Township, but about the year 1828 they removed to Morgan County, this State, and remained through the lifetime of Mrs. Love, after which her husband moved to Greene County, where he spent the remainder of his days.The subject of this sketch was one of the five children of his parents who lived to maturity, and he was the youngest of their number.
It is claimed that he was the first white child born in Macoupin County, as he opened his eyes upon this world in the year 1822 in South Palmyra Township."



Townships Index Page

Macoupin County, Illinois Homepage




County Coordinator Gloria Frazier
Asst County Coordinator Kathleen Mirabella
©1996-2017 All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.