School-Carlinville Free School, Macoupin County IL
© Macoupin County ILGenWeb
Carlinville Free School
Elisabeth Herndon writes,
"According to an article "School's Out" in the Macoupin Co. Enquirer
6/20/2002, the building in the photo is the Carlinville Free School
built on the site of the South school building in 1866, completed 1867.
It replaced 3 smaller, earlier schools and was "one of the largest and
certainly the most ornate building in town when it was completed." In
1912, the Central building was built just north of it to house the High
School. In 1924 the 3rd floor of the Free School building was declared
unsafe, and in 1928 the Free School was razed and the South School
building that still stands was built on the spot. The cornerstone of the
old building was moved to the SW corner of the new building, and the
2-story carved stone main entrance of the old building which originally
faced S. Broad was carefully removed and became the south entrance of
South School where it can be seen to this day."
Macoupin County Home Page
County Coordinator Kathleen
©1996-2018 All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those
responsible for their authorship or creation
unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money
is asked or paid for any reason is strictly