White City - Macoupin County Illinois
©1997 Gerry Clark
Remembrances of White City
contributed for use by by Gerry Clark
White City is located west of Mt Olive on Route 138 just off Interstate 55. White City was incorporated as a village 23 Feb 1859. White City is RFD Carlinville. It is located in Sections 4 and 9 of Mt Olive Township. In 1908, the population of White City was 800.
The population of White City has increased to about 310 from a low of about 200 citizens. Gerry remembers her father telling her that the coal mine's company houses were moved from the 1904 World's Fair in St Louis to White City for the coal miners. Gerry lived with her parents in one of the company houses for a number of years. The house Gerry lived in and all the ones around it were torn down a number of years ago. Nothing left standing or any trace of the houses.
Baseball was a longtime favorite Sunday pastime there for many years.
The coal mine at White City, Consolidated Coal Company No. 15 was reputed to be one of the most modern and safest mines in the area when it closed.
Mt Olive Township
History index page
Macoupin County ILGenWeb Main Page
©1996-2018 All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.