Sawyerville History, Mt Olive Township, Macoupin County Illinois
History of Sawyerville
Sawyerville is located northwest of White City on Routes 138 and 4. It is located in Section 6 of Mt Olive Township. The post office was established 17 Sep 1906, disbanded 15 Jan 1910, reestablished 6 Sep 1910, disbanded 15 Dec 1914, and reestablished 21 Jun 1916.
Also said to have been named after David Sawyer, son of Josiah Sawyer. The village of Sawyerville was incorporated 12 Jun 1907.
SAWYERVILLE IS BEAUTY SPOT OF MACOUPIN CITIES
LITCHFIELD (IL) NEWS-HERALD, May 28,1936
The village of Sawyerville, just south of Benld, is unique in that every family in town owns an automobile and that at least one member in every family has employment. The village has a population of about 400.
Sawyerville got its name from Thomas SAWYER, 93, still hale and hearty and still residing on his farm between the village and Benld. SAWYER sold the land to the Superior Coal Co. In 1904 when the corporation's No. 2 mine was sunk on the east edge of the present village limits. The village was founded in 1905 and incorporated a few years later (1907).
Barney FLAHERTY, who came to the village in 1908, and who has resided there with Mrs. FLAHERTY ever since, says it is the cleanest mining village he has ever seen, FLAHERTY is an organizer for the Progressive Miners union and a former board member of the organization. He ran for the vice president recently. He also served a number of terms on the village board.
A beauty spot in the village territory is the mine reservoir. Set in a wooded valley, it gleams like a sapphire in a green leafy setting. Just above the lake is a playground built by the mine company for Sawyerville children and outfitted with swings and other play equipment.
The village of Sawyerville maintains its own electric distribution system and retails power to its residents on a non-profit basis. Tbe village early in its history, installed its own poles and lines and purchased its power in wholesale lots from the Illinois Power and Light Co.
Sawyerville is in Mt. Olive township near the Gillespie and Dorchester township lines. Rudolph STEWART is village president and is assisted in his administrative work by Henry MOREACCI, the clerk. The board includes Mike LARICK, Garland MUDD, Dan T. BREVIN, Theodore SCHWEPPE and Jasper WENZEL. Sawyerville has a population of some 500 persons.
The district school is housed in a fine, modern building which includes an auditorium for community meetings and six rooms, Glenn COX is principal and is assisted by Jasper WENZEL, Miss Gertrude SIEGEL and Miss Virginia SCHMUTZLER.
Members of the school board are Frank KISS, president; Will PURDY and Mrs Frank HERMAN. Graduates attend the Benld township high school.
There is but one church in the village from where many of the residents attend the Benld churches, Sawyerville's church of the Later Day Saints is the charge of the Reverend A. A. RUSSELL.
The Superior Coal Co., mine No. 2 employs approximately 500 men. Lawrence Kiss is mine manager. Members of the shop committee who are in charge of settling employee disputes are Matt KATELENICH, George RADEMACHER and Mr. ROSETTI. The miners are members of local number one of the Progressive miners union. John McCann, one of the miners employed in the Sawyerville shaft, is president of the local. Shop or mine committee members choose a new chairman for each meeting.
Helen L. CORRIGAN is postmistress of Sawyerville post office. There are four stores in the village, all purveying general merchandise. Sawyerville is unusual in that its east and west boundaries are marked by state highways, route 4 runs on the west and routes 66 and 4 connection on the east. The village is served by the Litchfield and Madison and the Illinois Terminal railways. —submitted by Edna Grosenheider
Mt Olive township
History index page
Macoupin County ILGenWeb Main Page
©1996-2018 All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.