Palmyra Village History Macoupin County Illinois
©1997 Mary Ann Stewart Kaylor
submitted by Mary Ann Stewart Kaylor for Macoupin County ILGenWeb
VILLAGE OF PALMYRA from 1879 History of Macoupin County, Illinois
The village of Palmyra is built on the township line, between North and South Palmyra. The portion in South Palmyra stands on the northwest quarter of section 4. The part in North Palmyra on the southwest quarter of section 33. The portion of town on section 4 was laid out by D. N. SOLOMON, in the year 1855. The north portion, on section 33, was laid out by J. F. NIFONG and H. BERRY, in 1855. The old town of NEWBURG, was situated on section 4, and was laid out in 1835 by JAMES CAVE.
The first house was built by WILLIAM OWENS, in 1835; it was a log
The first hotel was kept by W. B. GARDINER. SCOTT & BOSWORTH kept the first store.
The first post office was kept by OAKES SHAW, in the year 1841.
The first blacksmith shop was started by JAMES L. WARFIELD.
The first church was built by the Cumberland Presbyterians, in the year 1857.
The first sermon was preached in the house of OAKES SHAW, by the Rev. L. W. WILLIAMS, a Presbyterian, in 1838.
The first school was taught by Miss ELIZA HERSEY, in the fall of 1836.
The first physician was Dr. THORNTON, who located here in the spring of 1840.
Another early physician was Dr. H. J. VANWINKLE.
About the year 1842 the town had its name changed from that of NEWBURG to CUMMINGTON, and continued by that name for about thirteen years, at which time new buildings were erected a little west of the old town and on a more desirable site. The ground was higher and afforded some shade. Business was changed to the new part of the town. A new name was given to the village, and from that time it has been called "PALMYRA". After the survey and laying out of the town, in 1855, it received a fresh impulse. Shops, stores, &c., were put up in rapid succession. A hotel was built on the north side by R. F. BRACKEN, in 1855.
The first church edifice was erected by the Christian in 1867. The first preacher was G. M. GOODE.
The first mill was built by A. C. FARMER; F. E. SHAW and J. F. NIFONG,
in the year 1856.
Subsequently NIFONG & SOLOMON built a saw mill.
(There are many listings of Shops, stores, Benevolent Societies,
Supervisors, Constables; Assessors; Collectors; Comm. of Highways. Some
of these are Township offices)
North and South Palmyra township
History index page
Macoupin County ILGenWeb Main Page
Asst County Coordinator Kathleen Mirabella
©1996-2017 All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.