Hornsby History Cahokia Township - Macoupin County
©1997 Shirley Denson
Clyde was later renamed Hornsby when another location in IL had a Clyde Post Office before the named Clyde in Macoupin County. Clyde Post Office was used on the 1860 Federal Census. As early as 1875, the post office at Clyde was named Hornsby Post Office, yet, the town was called Clyde. Sometime after 1893-94, the town's name became Hornsby.
Located in the north central area of Cahokia township and about six miles northeast of Gillespie just off Route 16, Hornsby named after landowner R J Hornsby is but a small group of homes which mark the small town of yesterday. As late as 1918, the Oakland Baptist Church was being used for worship in Hornsby.
From the History of Macoupin County, IL 1879, early settlers of Cahokia Township were Ephrain Powers who settled near the south-east corner of the township about 1828, and in 1830 Thomas Kinder with his family settled on section 11, where he made an improvement. The first permanent settler was soon followed by others, among whom were Peter B Karnes and family.
Peter B Karnes from Scott County, KY, was one of the earliest settlers of the county. He and his family came to Cahokia Township in 1831 where he entered land in Section 11 and commenced farming. The first birth in Cahokia Township was that of Willism S Karnes, son of Peter B and Sarah Ann Karnes, who was born in 1832. Later, Peter Karnes built a blacksmith shop which he tended for a number of years. When Peter's wife, Sarah Ann Bates Karnes born in Jessamine County, KY, died 15 Mar 1877, Peter established by deed the Karnes Cemetery (to return from Karnes Cemetery to this paragraph, use your browser back button) in the northwest quarter of section 11 in Cahokia Township.
The first settlers experienced great inconveniences and hardships. Their food depended entirely upon the game and products of the farm. Their nearest market was forty or fifty miles away. Their clothing was made from the rough cloth which the women spun from the flax raised on the farm. Their homes were rudely built cabins with very rough or no floors and only one window or a door to admit light. The schools and churches were also built of logs.
Among the prominent older settlers of the county and Cahokia Township were Pete B Karnes, Nancy Snook, Larkin Craig, Nancy Keel, George Bayless, Benj L Dorsey, Jacob Kinder, Hugh Rice, William Anderson, Wm Eickmeyer, E. S. Holme, and J M Rhoads.
From the 1893-94 Atlas of Macoupin County: H Bierbaum, farmer and
stock raiser of Hornsby in Cahokia Township in 1893, came to the county
in 1850 from Germany. H B Blevins, farmer and stock raiser of Hornsby in
Cahokia Township in 1893, came to the county in 1834. A J Cook, farmer
of Hornsby in Cahokia Township, came to the county in 1840 from Parke County
IN. G W Duncan, farmer and stock raiser of Hornsby in Cahokia Township
in 1893 came to the county in 1834. Z Harris, farmer of Hornsby in Cahokia
Township, settled in the county in 1839 from Bond Co IL. Frank Holden,
miller of Hornsby in Cahokia Township, settled in the county in 1854 from
Vermont. J T Keplinger, farmer of Hornsby in Cahokia Township in 1893,
came to the county in 1843. Wm Lancaster, farmer of Hornsby in Cahokia
Township, settled in Macoupin County in 1839 from England.
History index page
Macoupin County ILGenWeb Main Page
©1996-2018 All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.