Eagerville History, Macoupin County Illinois
©1997 Frieda Price
History of Eagerville
contributed by Freida Price
(Extracted from History of Gillespie, Ilinois and Centennial Program June 25, 26, 27, 1953).
The village was incorporated November 16, 1915. They have had five mayors up to the present day. Mr. Joseph FREW, the first mayor, served for 20 years. Trustees of the first village board were John FREW; John RANGER, Gillespie resident; Fred GERARDINI, Gillespie resident; Frank DANA, Gillespie resident; Martin HUGES, and Victor PRENEDIL.
The first school was built in 1900. It consisted of two rooms The Village Hall and Post Office are the buildings which composed the school. This school was sold in 1920, when a new school was built. This school which consisted of four rooms was sold in 1951.
Eagerville has never had an established church. However, Sunday School classes were conducted in the school building from early 1900 to 1947 by Miss DAY and Mrs. Jennie THERO.
Eagerville's population in 1980 was 148 and, in 1990, the population was 127.
Eagerville is marked on a current plat map.
Cahokia Township page
History index page
Macoupin County ILGenWeb Main Page
©1996-2018 All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.