Descendants of George W. Farris
GEORGE W.2 FARRIS (JAMES1)1,2 was born 1796 in , SC3, and died January 27, 1865 in Staunton, Macoupin Co., IL. He married NANCY PIPER4 February 17, 1818 in Madison Co., IL5, daughter of JAMES PIPER and CATHERINE VINEYARD. Nancy was born 1800 in , GA.
Notes for GEORGE W. FARRIS:
There are several records in the Public Domain Land Tract Sales Archives in IL under George W. Farriss: counties purchased were Macoupin Co. And under George W. Farris: counties purchased were Madison Co, Wayne Co., Pike Co. and Marion Co.
Pg. 552 "History of Madison Co., IL" Thomas S. West settled in 1838. Three days after he located there he bought out the FARRIS HEIRS. This must have been from James Farris' heirs (George didn't die til 1865)
The Tine Sawyer was established in 1851 by Valentine Sawyer.
George is buried here, his stone states that he was a veteran.
The 1860 Federal Census states that George W. Farris, 64 years, M, Farmer, Value of Real Estate $3,000, Value of Personal Estate $300, Place of birth SC. His wife, Nancy Farris, 60 years, F, Place of birth GA
In the 1818 in Madison County Pharis, George W. @ 632
1820 Census there is a - Farris, George @ 632
George W. Faris Males - 0 0 0 1 (James S) 2 0 1 (George W.) Females - 0 1(Lucinda?) 0 1 (Nancy) 0 1
George W. Farris = Males 1 15 & Under 20, 2 20 and under 30, 1 40 and under 50 Females 1 5 & under 10, 2 10 and under 15, 1 15 and under 20 and 1 40 and under 40
More About GEORGE W. FARRIS:
Fact 1: 1865, Tine Sawyer Cemetery, Macoupin Co., IL6 Fact 2: 1840, Macoupin Co., IL7,8,9,10,11 Fact 3: Band Mill Fact 6: Will
Notes for NANCY PIPER:
According to the 1860 Federal Illinois, Macoupin Co. Census - Nancy was 60 years old and born in GA.
More About NANCY PIPER:
Fact 2: 1860, Macoupin Co., IL12
Marriage Notes for GEORGE FARRIS and NANCY PIPER:
Vol., Page & License = 63120
Children of GEORGE FARRIS and NANCY PIPER are: i. JAMES SMITH3 FARRIS, b. 1820, IL13.
More About JAMES SMITH FARRIS:
Fact 2: 1850, Macoupin Co., IL14 Fact 3: Farmer & Breeder Blooded Horses
ii. WILLIAM VINEYARD FARIS, b. February 02, 1823, Staunton, Macoupin Co., IL; d. December 20, 1879; m. PERMELIA HARRINGTON, b. February 17, 1822, Staunton, Macoupin Co., IL.
Notes for WILLIAM VINEYARD FARIS:
William is buried at the Tine Sawyer Cemetery, in Macoupin Co., IL.
In George Faris' bible it states that William died December 26. 1879.
He had red hair and wore a beard. He was the relative who dropped one "R" from the FARRIS name.
There are records in the Public Domain Land Tract Sales Archives for IL under a William Faris: located Franklin Co., Wayne Co., Clark Co. and Hamilton Co. Under William Farriss: located Hamilton Co. and Clark Co.
THE STORY GOES: The Faris family owned most of West Prairie, Illinois at one time. He came home one day to find his family, wife and children, gone. He got his gun and went after them. I (Ralph Faris) don't know what happened then, but it has been said that it cost him most of this land to keep him out of jail.
Records at the LDS Library in Mesa, AZ states that William Vinyard Faris was born in Madison Co. IL. He died 12/26/1878 of typhoid pneumonia. He was 56 years old and he was a farmer.
In the 1860 Federal Census for Illinois, Macoupin Co. William B. Farris 35 years old, M, no occupation stated, property value $1200.00, Personal $400.00 and born in IL. Also listed Permelia, Sarah, Emma, Margaret, George, Nucis and on next page possibly a Louis Dinerson 15 year old, male, occupation listed but can't make out, born Germany and attending school. Could he have been living with William's family?
William B. Faris age 35 Farmer, $1200, $400, born ILL Permelia 37, born IL (spouse), Sarah 15, born IL, Emma, 15 ,born IL, Margaret 12, born IL, George 7, born IL & Nucis (F) 2, born IL.
More About WILLIAM VINEYARD FARIS:
Fact 1: Macoupin Co., IL Fact 2: 1860, Macoupin Co., IL15
iii. LUCINDA FARRIS, b. 1828, IL.
Notes for LUCINDA FARRIS:
Lucinda Hadaway 22 & Mary Jane 3 were both living with G. W. & Nancy Pharris
More About LUCINDA FARRIS:
Fact 2: 1850, Macoupin Co., IL
iv. SARAH JANE FARRIS, b. 1832-1834, IL.
Endnotes1. W. R. Brink & Co., History of Madison County, Illinois Illustrated, W. R. Brink & Co., Edwardsville, IL 1882, page 97 In the band-mill the horse-power consisted of a large, uprightshaft, some ten or twelve feet in height, with eight or ten long arms,let into the main shaft and extending out from it fifteen feet. Augerholes were bored at the end of the arms, in the.
2. W. R. Brink & Co., History of Madison County, Illinois Illustrated, W. R. Brink & Co., Edwardsville, IL 1882, page 97 George W. Farris had a band-mill, west of Silver creek, near the line between Hamel and Alhambra townships..
3. 1860 Federal Census - Macoupin Co., IL, George stated on this census that he was born in SC and was 64 yearsold.
4. Old Settlers Stories, Vol. 1 Staunton, IL City Centennial 1891 - 1991Staunton, IL & Vicinity.
5. W. R. Brink & Co., History of Madison County, Illinois Illustrated, W. R. Brink & Co., Edwardsville, IL 1882, page 89 The following are the marriage licenses issued from June 1814 to June1819, No. 15 to No. 150. The names of the parties are spelled as they appear in the records:-1818 - Feb. 11 George Faris to Nancy Piper.
6. Tine Sawyer Cemetery.
7. 1860 Federal Census - Macoupin Co., IL.
8. Lowell M. Volkel & James V. Gill, 1820 Federal Census of Illinois, The Illiana Genealogical Publishing Co 1966: Danville, Ill..
9. 1850 Macoupin Co. Census, According to this census, there was a G. W. & Nancy Pharris. He was65 and born in NC. Nancy was 49 and born in GA. They lived in T. 7 &8 (7 = Mt. Olive, Staunton and 8 = Cahokia) R 6 W page 321.
10. 1830 Madison Co., IL Census, George Farris, page 192 No TWP listed.
11. 1840 Macoupin Co., IL Census, page 47. 12. 1860 Federal Census - Macoupin Co., IL, Nancy stated on this census that she was born in GA and was 60 years old..
13. 1850 Macoupin Co. Census, James states he was 30 in 1850.
14. 1850 Macoupin Co. Census, James S. Pharris lived T 7 & 8 (T= Mt. Olive, Staunton & 8 = Cahokia)R 6 W page 320. He was a farmer value was $800.00.. 1860 Federal Census - Macoupin Co., IL, William B. Faris age 35 Farmer, $1200, $400, born ILL Permelia 37, born IL (spouse), Sarah 15, born IL, Emma, 15 ,born IL,Margaret 12, born IL, George 7, born IL & Nucis (F) 2, born IL.
Macoupin County main page
Asst County Coordinator Kathleen Mirabella
©1996-2017 All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.