Spring Creek Church Deed, Cahokia Township, Macoupin County IL

gif USGenWeb Logo
                      Button picf
Click for all states

Spring Creek Church Deed
(Regular Baptist)
Cahokia Township
Macoupin County IL

gif ILGenWeb
                      Button Logo picf
Click for IL county


Contributed by Robert Webb


Deed (click to see)

Spring Creek Church, located about two or three miles southwest of Clyde, or Hornsby P. O., united with the Concord Association in 1852, and reported 12 members at that time. Elder Carter Keel, Jacob Harris, and L. Jones were messengers in 1853,  Deed records have been found, which show that Tarleton Blevins and wife Sarah, on January 3, 1870, granted one acre of land to the trustees of this church, viz., Carter Keel, David Wood, Franklin Duncan, Henry B. Blevins, and John K. Beer.  This was in the SE Corner of the NW 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of Sec. 16, Cahokia township, T8N R6W 3PM. The 1875 atlas plat of Macoupin county shows a church symbol at this legal description, and it is adjacent to land owned by Elder Carter Keel and others who were members.  The church continued to meet as late as 1942. The records have not been found, and a photo has not been located.  It appears that Sarah Keel was clerk until her death, in about 1932, then one Elizabeth Harris was clerk, and may have been the last living member.





Church Index

Macoupin Main Page




County Coordinator Gloria Frazier
Asst County Coordinator Kathleen Mirabella
©1996-2017 All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.