WPA - Elmwood Cemetery, Shaws Point Township, Macoupin County IL


A Transcription of the WPA Record in Macoupin County Archives, Carlinville, Illinois
by Mary McKenzie


ELMWOOD CEMETERY
aka Carpenter or Shaws Point or Barnett

 Shaws Point Township
Macoupin County
Section 26-10-6
Illinois


Located 8 1/2 Mi. East, 1/4 Mi. North of Carlinville

The Elmwood Cemetery was first laid out about 1833 as that is the earliest date on the markers, but it was not deeded until 50 years later. It has been known by four different names. First it was called the "Carpenter Cemetery" then later it was called the "Shaws Point Cemetery" next it was called the Barnett Cemetery" and at present it is called the "Elmwood Cemetery". It derives its present name from its location which is in the midst of large beautiful elm trees.

In 1882, a deed was made for the Elmwood Cemetery which also includes the roadway leading to the cemetery. The deed reads as follows:- The GRANTORS:- Charles T. Carpenter and Cathering (as is) Carpenter his wife of the County of Macoupin and State of Illinois for and in consideration of the sum of $100.00 in hand paid doth hereby grant, bargain and sell, CONVEY and WARRANT to Wm. G. Groves, Wm. I. Earnest and Henry I. Masters, trustees of the Elmwood Cemetery Association of Shaws Point in and of the County of Macoupin and State of Illinois the following described real-estate:-

Beginning at a stone on the South line of the NW. 1/4 of the SW. 1/4 of Section 26, T. 10 N. R, 6 West. Said stone being 2.46 chains West of the SE. corner of said tract and running thence West on said line (index 6 degrees 15 minuets East) 2.45 chains to stone; thence North (same index) 7.72 chains to stone: go thence East (same index 2.45 chains to stone; thence South (same index) 7.28 chains to a point 44 links North of the place of beginning; thence East (same index) 22.86 chains to stake; Thence South (same index) 44 links to stone at SE. corner of the N. 1/2 of the SW. 1/4 of said Section 26; thence West (same index) on South line of last named tract. 28.86 chains to place of beginning, containing 2.597 acres more or less situated in the County of Macoupin and State of Illinois, hereby releasing and waiving all rights under and by virtue of Homestead Exemption Laws of this state. (This deed is dated April 12, 1882 and was recorded in the office of the Recorder of Deeds for the County of Macoupin, Illinois on April 20, 1882 in Book DI at Page 243.)

The Elmwood Cemetery does not have a state charter. The present trustees of the Elmwood Cemetery are the following: Jess Barnett, Truman Barnett, and Wilbert Ring

The Elmwood Cemetery is a public cemetery and has many lots available for burial purposes. The lots are not sold but are acquired by a custom deed. An individual of the community can go out and stake or mark the lot which he desires for his family burial lot and it automatically becomes his lot and no one else can claim it.

Elmwood Cemetery is in good condition and well kept. There are many large and beautiful monuments in this cemetery. Most of the tombstones are markers are standing erect and in very good condition. The land slopes to the North giving the ground a natural drainage. The large elm trees give beautiful back ground. The whole cemetery is surrounded by a wire fence which is in good condition. The part of the cemetery which is not used is fenced off from the rest of the cemetery but it is grown up in brush. There is no caretaker but the grass and weeds are kept out by neighbors and relatives of the deceased. Part of it is fenced in.

There are two veterans buried in the Elmwood Cemetery.

Name:   Karrick, John P.; Civil war; Pvt. Co. E 24 Ky. Reg.; Died 1919; Grave 1 Lot 1
Name:   Karrick, John P.
Field Check: Grave No. 1 Lot No. 1; Upright marker
Information on Marker: Karrick, John P. 1836 -1919; Co. E   24 Ky Reg. Lucinda wife, 1837
Cemetery Record Data:  Grave No. 1 Lot No. 1
Death Certificate Data: Died 1919 at Shaws Pointe (as is)
Born:    1836
Service Record: Civil War; CoE. 24 Ky Reg.
Inspection of burial plot: Good condition

Name:   Richardson, Wm. L;  Civil War; Pvt. Co. G 122 Ill Reg.; Grave 1 Lot 36 No marker
Name:   Richardson, William L.
Field Check:      Grave No. 1 Lot No. 36  Block No. - None
Cemetery Record Data: Gravel Lot No. 36
Service Record: Civil War; Pvt. Co. G 122 Inf. Regiment

William Richardson does not have a marker for his grave. One of the neighbors near the cemetery states that he personally knew Mr. Richardson to be a veteran and gave us the regiment in which he served. In checking the Roster of Co. G. of the 122 Illinois Regiment we find the name of William Richardson to be a private of that company.

The oldest grave that we can find in the Elmwood Cemetery carried the inscription of "Dangerfield", who died on February 7, 1835. This grave is a very small grave and evidently is the grave of a small child.

History

The Barnett family has always looked after the Ehnwood Family. Jess Barnett's grand-father entered the land around the Elmwood Cemetery from the government. His first tract consisted of only ten acres. He then kept buying more land from the government a little at a tune until he owned 1500 acres. Mr. Barnett came to this county with the early settlers in 1826. At that time there was no mail route or post-office in Carlinville or Macoupin County. The pioneers had to go to Alton about 45 miles away for their mail.

George Barnett came to this county in 1837 and settled in the Township of Shaws Point. He was elected Justice of Peace when he was only 24 years of age and held that office for 15 consecutive years. The first store in Shaws Point township was kept by George Barnett. He was the second supervisor of the township being elected in 1872.

William Barnett was the third Highway Commissioner of Shaws Point township being elected in 1873.

These early settlers like all pioneers were sober, industrious, and honest and hospitable men. They raised nearly every article of food and manufactured their own clothing. In those days game was plentiful and the pioneers were fond of hunting. The early pioneers settled near a timber for reasons that the land adjoining the timber is generally more fertile and they could build their homes with less labor of handling the heavy logs from which they constructed their cabins. The timber also protected them from the wind and storm.


Return to Cemetery Main Page

Return to Macoupin County, Illinois Homepage

County Coordinator Gloria Frazier
Asst County Coordinator Kathleen Mirabella
©1996-2017 All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.