Name of Cemetery:
Number of lots:
Number of graves:
Number of graves to be filled:
Number of graves to be leveled:
Number of Veterans graves that need stones:
Number of stones in cemetery that need resetting:
Number of stones that need recutting:
Rods of fence around cemetery:
Condition of fence:
Rods of fence to be repaired:
Rods of fence to be replaced:
Number of people interviewed:
Sec of SW ¼ of NW ¼ of Sec. 8-11-8
Jacob Andrew born in Chester Co. Pa. 9-18-1788 – died 4-24-1870
No Vets in cem.
9 rod of fence
Inquire to find if any veterans grave in cemetery has no marker. None
The fence all needs repairing
The weeds are fairly high in cem. With several bushes.
This is a small private cem. Back in the woods and no roadway leading tup to the cem.
The cemt. Isn’t visible until you get right at it
Location: 3 mi S.W. on dirt road from Palmyra; 1 mi E of Mr. Andrews house back in timber and bluegrass pasture, No driveway leading to the cem.
No gate to the cem. It is fenced in all around
The Andrew Cemetery of South Palmyra Township is a private cemetery which was started by Mr. Andrew in 1870 for a burial place for the members of the Andrew family and heirs. After searching the land records of Macoupin County we have been unable to find a deed for the cemetery; however we have found an exception in a deed made in 1873 which gives the dimensions of the cemetery.
In 1873, Mr. Andrew deeded a part of his land to his daughter and son-ion-law and this deed excepts the cemetery. The deed conveying the title to land reads (in part) as follows: THIS INDENTURE, made this 15th day of October, 1873 between James Andrew, Cyrana Andrew and his wife, of the first part and for and in consideration of the Natural Love and Affection we bear in our son-in-law, Charles Ross and our daughter Rachel Ross, and the sum of $1.00 to them paid by the said party of the second part, the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged, have granted, bargained, sold, released and conveyed and by these presents doth grant, bargain, sell, release and convey to the party of the second part, lying and being in the County of Macoupin and State of Illinois and known, designated and described as follows, to-wit:
The East ½ of the SE. ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 7, T. 11 N. R. 8, except 4 ½ acres on the south and of the tract above described. The SW. ¼ of the NW of Section 8, T. 11 N. R. 8, except 10 acres off the south end. Also except a half-acre out of the NW. corner of said tract of land; commencing at the NW. corner running Est 13 rods; South 6 rods; West 13 rods; North 6 rods to the place of beginning---------------------------------etc.
(This deed is dated October 15, 1873 and was recorded in the office of the Recorder of Deeds for Macoupin County,
Illinois in Book “BX” of Deed Records at page 5 on April 25, 1874.) (*Handwritten in is: “This portion of the cemetery, now fenced in measures only 50 feet on the North and South sides and 22 feet on the E. & W. sides”).
The Andrew Cemetery is not incorporated at the present time.
There are no known trustees to the Andrew Cemetery. It is in the care of the Andrew Heirs.
The Andrew Cemetery is in fair condition with the exception that the grass has grown tall. It is situated in a timber and is not visible until one gets right up to it. 10 graves have been counted in the cemetery and these graves are in good condition with the exception of 2 which need filling in. A plank fence encloses this small cemetery. There is no roadway leading to this plot of ground.
To reach the Andrew Cemetery one travels 3 miles Southwest of Palmyra on a dirt road to the Andrew Homestead and about 1 mile east of the home, across a bluegrass pasture to a timber where the cemetery lies.
There are no veterans buried in the Andrew Cemetery.
The oldest grave that we can locate and one which the heirs say is definitely the first grave is that of Jacob Andrew, who was born in Chester County, Penn. In 1788 and who died on April 24, 1870. Mr. James Andrew selected this plot of ground upon his farm as the final resting place of his father.
Editor’s note: There is one other page titled “Andrew Cemetery Exceptions” which doesn’t really give much important information. You can see it at Macoupin Co. Archives, Carlinville, IL. This page ends with “In Witness whereof the said party of the first part hereto set their hands and seals in the day and yr first above written, signed sealed and delivered in presence of A. M. Cunningham.
Made June 1st, 1867
Book A.P. Page 625
At the top corner of this page it appears the WPA worker made the notation “Wrote Nov. 24, 1939”. There are no other person’s names on this page.
Asst County Coordinator Kathleen Mirabella
©1996-2017 All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.